It’s summer – that means time for a road trip!!
Freedom is being able to just pack up your things on a whim and hit the road! Adventuring into the uncharted territories, fearlessly going wherever your wallet and car can take you. And it doesn’t have to be expensive, too far or very stressful.
All it takes is that inner most desire to explore, and it helps to have a solid plan. The rest is just noise.
But how does one go about executing a perfect road trip? Well, there are some basic tips you should take. Let’s list them..
- Pick your destination. Do it right, because this will set the undertone of your journey and your expectations Often, you hear people say: It’s not the destination but the journey. Therefore it’s important to pick the right route as well. Something nice and scenic, with lots of opportunities to stop, refresh and resume. It’s more fun this way, and you get to see many things as you go along.
- Gather up what you’ll need. Figure out how long you’re going away, where you’re going (approximately). Will you need lots of food? or you can eat out? Will you need to bring a tent, bug repellent? some music for the car? special medicine? Last thing you want is to be on the road and you forgot to bring something you need. It’s not always a show stopper always, but it can dampen your mood. So in your head, mentally, walk yourself through all the things you plan to do and see what kind of resource you need. Keep in mind too the space in your car.
- Inspect your car. Make sure it can take on a road trip. Do your oil change, check your tire-pressure, make sure your gas tank is filled, make sure you have first aid kit, blankets, matches, rope, flashlight, radio, compass, maps, etc. Last thing you want is to go in the middle of nowhere and then get stuck on the side or the road. It can be scary.
- Pick the right people. Don’t go alone, unless that’s your thing, in which case you should let someone know that you’re away, for safety reasons. But if you’re going to go with others, make sure you pick those who are not going to get on your nerves or ruin your time. There is nothing worse that inviting some negative person to come along and bring the mood and morale down. All it takes is one person too. So carefully select and know your travel mates. It can make all the difference in the world.
- Prepare for Murphy’s law: If it can happen, it will happen. Sounds scary, right?! Yes, but if you’re prepared, you can manage. Although one can never be completely prepared for all the things life can throw at you, listing all the possible risks and ways to mitigate helps immensely. Basically, have a plan B, so you’re not caught off-guard.
- Give yourself a day or two when back. How many times did you hear people say.. oh I just go back from vacation and I’m hating being here (work), wish I can go back.. Well, that’s normal. Human beings are pleasure seekers, and we hate when it stops. It’s hard to adjust back. That’s why it’s a good idea to give yourself a day or two after you come back from your trip to unwind, process what you saw, and mentally prepare yourself to being back in every day mundane. You’ll always yearn to go back to vacation but at least you’ll be mentally ready to resume work/responsibilities.
- Learn from your experiences, trials and tribulations. Take some time to reflect back on your journey. How was it? Did it go as you expected? Would you have done anything differently, if you could go again? Learn from your own experiences, that’s what makes you perfect. Next time, you’ll have a much better idea of what to do. Nothing feels better.
So there you have it, not the most extensive list in the world, but then again who has the time to sit and read when summer is here and all you want to do is get out and live a little!
When out there exploring, take it easy, drive careful, remain calm, pay attention to the little things.
If road trips aren’t your thing, but you do like weekend getaways, night on the town, wine tours or casino trips – Toronto Airport Limousine is here to serve you. With our exceptional fleet of super clean & modern vehicles – we can move any size group. Just inquire about our rates.
Have a fun and safe summer adventure!